Project ENGAGES High School Student Application Information
Georgia Tech’s Project ENGAGES: A Partnership with the Coretta Scott King Young Women’s Leadership Academy (CSKYWLA), B.E.S.T Academy, KIPP Atlanta Collegiate, Benjamin E. Mays High School, Charles R. Drew Charter High School and South Atlanta High School
Project ENGAGES is designed to engage under-representative minority high school students through programmatic classroom activities and a paid year-long research project at Georgia Tech. Students who are selected are expected to spend a minimum of 35 hours/week in their Georgia Tech research laboratory and participating in enrichment programs during the summer and 15 hours/week in their Georgia Tech research laboratory during the school year. The program is intended for those with an interest in science, biology, bioengineering, biotechnology, physics and other areas of engineering, e.g. environmental engineering, materials, and robotics. It is offered with the hope that participants, through their research and interactions with the variety of activities, will learn about career path possibilities that are obtainable and that the experience will help them set and achieve their goals.
Who should apply?
- Rising juniors who will be age 16 by May 30, 2018
- If you applied and interviewed last year, but were not eligible due to age
All applicants must attend either CSKYWLA, B.E.S.T Academy, KIPP Atlanta Collegiate, Benjamin E. Mays High School, Charles R. Drew Charter High School Students or South Atlanta High School must have an overall GPA average of 83 (3.0) or above and must complete science courses with a GPA of 83 (3.0) or above.
The application for Project ENGAGES can be submitted online (find below) by Friday, February 23, 2018. Additional information can be obtained from the CSKYWLA, B.E.S.T Academy, KIPP Atlanta Collegiate Leaders, Benjamin E. Mays High School, Charles R. Drew Charter High School or South Atlanta High School.
- Interview Date - March 17, 2018
- Orientation Date - May 12, 2018
- First Day of Work - May 30, 2018
- Summer Celebration - July 24, 2018
- Completed application form (with parent’s/legal guardian’s approval )
- Two letters of recommendations (One letter must be from your current science teacher. The second letter can be from another academic related reference such as your counselor, teacher, academic club advisor, or other (if other specify). Please be prepared to provide your references’ email address.
- Personal statement
Resume: Applicants’ resume should consist of their full legal name, contact information, education, work/research experience, achievements, list along with your role in any clubs or volunteer organizations in which you are involved, interests/activities, and computer skills
Personal Statement: In two pages or less the following questions should be considered when writing your personal statement:
- Think about yourself: What do you feel defines your life? What are your future goals and interests? What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses?
- Think about your high-school experience: What are your favorite subjects? For what subject do you feel you need the most help? How do you handle challenging classes?
- Describe any previous work or research experiences; either through a summer program or academic year program, and what did you gain from the experience.
- Think about science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM): How do you feel these areas impact your life? Would you like to learn more about research in these areas?
- Think about what makes you happy: What are your hobbies? Are you involved in any sport at school or outside of school? Why do these things make you happy?
- How do you feel this opportunity would be of value to your future?
In addition to the completed application package, the school will provide the transcript of each student as well as the biology and chemistry diagnostic test results to the Project ENGAGES panel. Finalists will be interviewed by a joint Georgia Tech/high-school staff panel, prior to decisions being made on acceptance into the Project ENGAGES program. If selected, the following are additional items that will be needed:
- Parental consent form