Become a Project ENGAGES Mentor
The Project ENGAGES Research Scholars program provides an opportunity for graduate students and post doctoral fellows to mentor high school students in research while gaining valuable mentoring and project management experience.
The 2019 program will run from June 2019 through August 2020. Applicants selected as mentors will be notified of their acceptance by April 15, 2019.
Mentor Application Guidelines:
• Meet with your advisor to ask if mentoring a high school student is a good fit for you and your lab
• Ask advisor to send an email to LaKeita Servance giving their approval for you to submit a project for consideration and confirming your full-year availability to mentor
• Submit project proposal by March 29, 2019
• First day for ENGAGES Cohort 7 June 3, 2019
• Only projects which allow high school students to evolve their research into independent projects will be considered
• Mentors and their projects will be reviewed and selected by a committee
• A lab may submit more than one proposal, but each mentor can only submit one proposal
Other Program Requirements:
• All mentors must be available to mentor scholars throughout the full year, June 2019 through August 2020.
• As a mentor, you will be asked to attend an orientation session on May 10, 2019. Additionally, mentors may be invited to events throughout the year to highlight the program and receive a $750 travel allowance.
• A progress report and evaluation must be conducted on the mentee at the end of the fall and spring semesters